Bishop of Clogher attends Oslo Seminar
Recognition of over 50 years service as Bell-Ringer in Enniskillen Cathedral
In circumstances of exceptional service to a parish or to the diocese on the
part of an individual, the bishop of Clogher presents to that person a diocesan
plaque depicting St Macartan seated and in an attitude of blessing. On Sunday
evening, 20th December 2009, during the Service of Nine Lessons and Carols,
Bishop Jackson presented a diocesan plaque to Mr Stewart Scott, Captain of
the Bell-tower in St Macartin’s Cathedral, Enniskillen and a bell-ringer
for over fifty years.
Bishop Jackson said “as we celebrate the service given by Stewart, we
remember also the service of members of his family - his brother Nelson, his
son Geoffrey and his daughter Barbara – who all have an association with
St Macartin’s as ringers.”
Mr Scott is highly respected across the bell-ringing world and has rung in
Bell-towers throughout Ireland, England and Scotland. His personal energy and
infectious enthusiasm combined with an unassuming manner has helped enable
bell-ringing to survive in Enniskillen to this day. For residents and visitors
to Enniskillen alike, the bells of St Macartin’s are very much part of
the landscape. Their pleasing sound calls out to all the people of Enniskillen
in a spirit of joy and gladness.
St Macartin’s Bell-tower has ten bells, eight of which are ideal for
ringing. They range from 3cwt to 21cwt. The first two were erected in 1715
and are known affectionately as William and Mary. They were manufactured from
cannon taken at the Battle of the Boyne and afterwards given by King William
iii to the residents of Enniskillen for this purpose.
A presentation was also made to Mr Scott on behalf of the Parish by Mr Raymond
Campbell, Rector’s Churchwarden.
Mr Raymond Campbell, Rector’s Churchwarden, Revd Elizabeth Thompson,
Mr Stewart Scott, Cathedral Bell Ringer for over 50 years, and Bishop Michael