Parishes mark historic links during European Heritage Open Days


Ardess Parish Church

Special events are being held in parts of Clogher Diocese to link with the forthcoming European Heritage Open Days on Saturday, 9th and Sunday, 10th September, 2017.

One of the interesting events this year will focus on the Ardess Famine Pit at St. Mary’s Church of Magheraculmoney, now known as Ardess Parish Church near Kesh, originally built in the 14th Century. In the adjoining graveyard is the famine pit for the unknown dead from 1845-1850, stone-vaulted tomb and a mock funeral bier gate. This famine graveyard is linked with other historic famine graveyards in Fermanagh and Donegal.

The Ardess Famine Pit is open on Saturday, 9th September between 2pm and 5pm and again on Sunday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm.

In connection with this, there is a Great Famine Commemoration in Ardess Parish Church on Sunday evening, 10th September at 7pm which will include an Act of Remembrance at the famine grave followed by reflections through readings and music by Fermanagh Choral Society and a light supper in the Parish Centre afterwards.

St Macartan's Cathedral Clogher

Elsewhere in the Diocese, St.Macartan’s Cathedral, Clogher, built in Georgian style in 1744 will be open to visitors on Saturday, 9th September between 10am and 2.30pm and again on Sunday, 10th September from 9am to 4pm. The Cathedral has fine stained glass windows and a collection of Bishops portraits and there is a diocesan archive room in the tower. The archivist will give a talk on the glass, silver and portraits on Sunday afternoon at 3pm.

Another event on Saturday, 9th September will be the Walking Tour of the Churches of Enniskillen including St. Macartin’s Cathedral starting at 11am from Enniskillen Castle.

There will also be a boat tour of early Christian sites on Lower Lough Erne to include White Island and Devenish Island.

The European Heritage Open Days weekend is in its 20th year and is organised by the Department for the Communities.