Institution of new rector in Dromore
Holy Trinity Parish Church in Dromore, County Tyrone, was full to capacity
for the institution of the Revd James Boyd as incumbent on the evening of
Thursday 19th May 2011. Revd Boyd was instituted by the Archdeacon of Clogher,
the Venerable Cecil Pringle. The singing was led by the church choir, the
organist was Mrs Beatrice Keys and the pianist was Mrs Lorna Thompson. The
processional hymn was Praise, my soul, the King of heaven, the Old Testament
reading from Genesis chapter 12 was read by Mrs Frances Smyth, Mothers’ Union
Enrolling Member, and the choir sang I will bless the Lord forever based
on Psalm 18. The Epistle from Acts chapter 6 was read by Mrs Cathy Patterson,
Girls’ Friendly Society Leader.
The gradual hymn was Speak, O Lord, as we come to you, and the Gospel reading
from St John chapter 13 was read by Mr Will Stevenson, Diocesan Pastoral
Assistant. The sermon was preached by the Revd Gareth Harron, rector of Magheralin
and Dollingstown. In response to the Sermon, the choir sang Father your love
is a faithful love.
The dean, the Very Revd Kenneth Hall, presented Revd Boyd to the archdeacon
for Institution, and the diocesan registrar, the Revd Canon John Stewart,
read the certificate of nomination.
The hymns following the act of institution included Lord Jesus, we enthrone
you and He is the Lord and he reigns on high. During the commission, the
archdeacon and the rector stood before the congregation, and members of the
congregation brought forward symbols of the teaching, pastoral and sacramental
ministry of an incumbent. Mrs Zelda Deazley, Rector’s Churchwarden,
presented a Bible to Revd Boyd, Miss Valerie Jackson, Sunday School Co-ordinator,
presented a container of water, Mr Robert Thompson, choir member, presented
a Book of Common Prayer, Mr Gregory Deazley, Church Lads’ Brigade Junior
Leader, presented bread and wine, Mrs Marianne Marechaux of the Prayer ministry,
presented oil, Mr Harold Stewart, People’s Churchwarden, brought forward
the key of the church, and Mrs Dorothy Kelly of the Prayer & Bible Study
Group, presented a towel. The peace was followed by the hymn Lord, I come
before your throne of grace, the prayers of the people were led by the rector,
and the hymns during the offering were Jesus, hope of the nations and The
splendour of the King. The closing hymn was Stand up, stand up for Jesus.
Everyone was invited for refreshments in the Parish Hall after the service,
during which a number of speeches were made under the chairmanship of the
Rural Dean, the Revd Chris Matchett.
The ancient parish church in Dromore is said to have been entirely destroyed
in the 1641 wars, and a new church was built in 1694. The present parish
church was built in 1957, after one of the walls of the old church collapsed
in 1954, when the damage was so great that it was decided to erect a new
building. The church was consecrated by the Most Reverend J.A.F. Gregg, Archbishop
of Armagh, in 1958, and the stone used in the bell tower was brought from
the recently demolished Aughentaine Castle, Fivemiletown.
Today Holy Trinity Church Dromore is a progressive church which seeks to
offer a balance of both traditional and modern worship in order to meet the
needs of the all-age congregation. An Order of Service incorporating weekly
announcements is available for all members of the congregation and Power-point
presentations are used at most services.
Within the parish there is close fellowship and the parish is renowned for
working closely together as an effective team. The parish has its own church
and church hall in one integrated complex. The 50th anniversary of the laying
of the foundation stone of the current church was celebrated in June 2007
and the anniversary of the official opening in 2008. The church accommodates
approximately 300 people and the suite of buildings includes a Conference
Room, a Coffee Bar/kitchen, a well-equipped crèche and a very spacious
modern fitted kitchen.
Organisations active in the parish include Junior and Senior Sunday Schools,
Crèche (Tots’ PowerHouse), Church Lads’ Brigade, Girls’ Friendly
Society, Prayer & Bible Study, Mothers’ Union and Bowling Club.
Holy Trinity Badminton Club and The Duke of Edinburgh Award Group use the
local Orange Hall which is adjacent to the church for their activities. Charity
events in support of Tear Fund, Christian Aid, Multiple Sclerosis, Equipment
for local Hospitals and Cancer Research are also supported by the parish
on a regular basis. More regular fund-raising events include an annual Parish
Sale of Work/Gift Envelope in December, annual Guest Tea on Shrove Tuesday
and an annual Parish Barbeque in June.
There are two organists who lead worship each Sunday using the two-manual
Copeman Hart electronic organ (purpose-built in 1997) and an electronic piano.
The senior choir consists of a team of committed, enthusiastic singers encompassing
a wide range of voices and the junior choir, ranging from 4 to 11 years old,
take part in main festival services. Choir practices are held prior to all
main festivals and other special services. The church uses the Church Hymnal
and Holy Trinity’s ‘Celebrate’ worship book.
There are no diocesan or parish readers currently resident in the parish
but a former parishioner, the Revd Stephen Farrell (an Oxford Law Graduate),
has recently been instituted rector of Zion Parish in the Diocese of Dublin.
Three young adults travelled to Chile with SAMS in July 2006 for three weeks
as part of a team from the Clogher Diocese. In previous years another young
adult member of the parish went with SAMS to Argentina for three weeks and
two GFS leaders from the parish were parish/diocesan representatives at the
GFS World Council in Australia and Pennsylvania.
From September 2005 to February 2006 the parish hosted a Chilean couple,
Gerardo and Suyai Gimpel, enabling them to develop their missionary role
within the parish and in five other churches within the diocese. This was
facilitated by SAMS and proved to be a very valuable opportunity for all.
For the past 10 years the parish has prayerfully and financially supported
Claire Holmes from County Armagh who is a mission partner and teacher in
Paraguay with SAMS Ireland. A member of the congregation acts as Parish SAMS
Secretary and co-ordinates this support.
In the summer of 2010 a team of eight men led by the previous incumbent,
the Revd Bryan Martin, travelled to Uganda for over two weeks to help build
Burunga Hope Life Primary School - comprising three classrooms, principal/teacher
staff room and stores accommodation. The £50,000 funding for this primary
school building project and bore hole well was financed by the parish through
numerous fundraising events by most church organizations and members. As
a result of this project a local organization ‘DAFA’ based in
Omagh provided a very generous gift specifically for this primary school
project via the Fields of Life missionary headquarters in Craigavon, so that
pupils and teachers could have the necessary teaching resources e.g. pens,
pencils, rubbers, exercise/library books, desks and other furnishings and
equipment. These resources were delivered to the new school complex on completion
of the project and before the team returned home, leaving the new premises
ready to admit pupils in September. This proved to be a very rewarding and
fulfilling experience for the team who have been invited to other churches
in the area to share their experience e.g. Magheracross Parish Church in
Ballinamallard, Mountjoy Presbyterian Church near Omagh, Donacavey and Barr
Parishes (Fintona), and Waringstown and Donacloney Parishes in the Diocese
of Down and Dromore.
Due to this deputation work some churches and individuals are providing
financial support for additional bore well projects and educational sponsorships
for young people in Uganda.
Date: 22nd May 2011